Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the number one cause of death on the planet and during the pandemic, there is even more of a threat for individuals with this condition to develop severe forms of COVID-19.
No one knows what the future of the COVID-19 pandemic will look like, but we do know that taking care of our heart right now is more important than ever for people to live longer, better, healthier lives.
On the days leading up to September 29th, consider the following ways to ‘Use Heart to Beat Cardiovascular Disease’:
- Use your head
- Understand what it takes to live a heart healthy life and ACT to change behaviors for a better quality of life.
- Eat a healthy diet, say no to tobacco, stick to safe alcohol recommendations and get plenty of exercise
- If you have an underlying health condition, don’t let COVID-19 stop you from attending regular check-ups and NEVER avoid seeking medical care for an emergency.
- Use your influence
- As an individual, be an example for your loved ones
- As an employer, invest in the heart health of your employees
- As a healthcare professional, help patients to make positive heart health changes
- As government, implement policies and initiative leading to better societal heart health
- Use your compassion
- Support and advocate for the most vulnerable populations who may be put at a greater risk during COVID-19
Learn more about World Heart Day and what you can do to beat cardiovascular disease from the World Heart Federation on their website.