Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS) Training
June 5-8, 2017 | Evergreen Resort, Cadillac, MI
What is a Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS)?
A Tobacco Treatment Specialist is a professional who possesses the skills, knowledge and training to provide effective, evidence-based interventions for tobacco dependence across a range of intensities. (ATTUD, 2015)
The Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence (ATTUD) has established a set of competencies for Tobacco Treatment Specialists. The competencies serve as a measure to provide best practices for effective treatment of tobacco use. View list of competencies.
- Entry Level Certification: requires 240 hours experience in tobacco treatment for licensed healthcare professionals. (A licensed healthcare professional includes certified substance abuse counselors, clinical psychologists, licensed mental health counselors, licensed social workers, pharmacists, RNs, NPs, PAs and MDs) OR 480 hours experience in tobacco treatment for other healthcare professionals.
- Master TTS Certification: for those tobacco treatment providers who have at least 2,000 hours documented experience in tobacco treatment.
For both certification levels, experience must be accumulated within the 5 years prior to submission for Application for Certification.
Summary of the Certification Process:
- Complete Basic Skills and TTS Core Certification trainings
- Complete the 4 day TTS in person Training
- Pass the Basic Skills quiz and TTS written exam (scores of 75% or better)
- Apply for certification
- For Entry Level Certification (CTTS): 240 hours experience (licensed healthcare professional)/480 hours experience (other healthcare professional) within past 5 years
- For Master TTS Certification (CTTS-M): 2,000 hours experience in tobacco treatment within past 5 years
- Submit payment with application
- Prepare and submit case study to the TTS Review Board
- Interview with the TTS Review Board
- The Review Board will issue a 2-year certification upon satisfactory completion of this process
- Recertification is required every 2 years. A total of 15 continuing education credits that relate to tobacco treatment specialist core competencies must be earned during the 2 year cycle and submitted to UMass Medical for recertification.
- TTS Core Certification Training: $1,000
- This will include the $175 fee for the Basic Skills for Working with Smokers online course
- New candidate: $250
- Recertification fee: $50
Prior to attending the TTS training, all candidates must successfully complete the Basic Skills for Working with Smokers online course. Information about this course.
Click here to download a registration form. Please complete and send back by one of the following ways:
Mail: Complete form and mail with payment to: DHD#10 Attention: Holly Joseph, 385 Third Street, Manistee, MI 49660. Make check payable to: District Health Department #10
Email: Complete form and email to email@example.com. Mail payments to above address.
Fax: Complete form and fax to: 231-723-1477. Mail payment to above address.
You will receive a confirmation within 2 weeks of registering.